Badges

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Rehearsal Footage for Monteverdi's "Orfeo" from Virgin Classics

Yes, this is "off-topic" from what this blog has covered the past few months, but in my world, NOTHING is off-topic! I am a lover of Early, Renaissance, and early Baroque, and especially love the works of Monteverdi. (I remember singing a piece by Monteverdi in the Chattanooga Bach Choir 20 years ago, and I would not trade that moment for anything. It was at a Sunday night concert at Christ Church, Episcopal, on McCallie Avenue. I remember Christ Church as the best acoustic in which I ever have sung.)

This is footage of some rehearsal for Monteverdi's opera "Orfeo," directed by the incomparable Emmanuelle Haim. Among the voices is Natalie Dessay, and just listening to her at any time is a real treat! I also enjoy the various period instruments, the recorders, and the strings.

5 comments:

Lame said...

Monteverdi's music is indeed nice. Still, I prefer Palestrina to all other choral composers. The first time I heard Missa Pappa Marcelli, I thought that heaven had opened up and I was hearing the angelic chorus itself.


On an aside, I haven't been able to post for several days due to something causing the capcha to not load.

William L. Anderson said...

I am not sure what the problem would be there. I've not heard from anyone else regarding such a situation.

Anonymous said...

Lame i'm glad you are ok,I had noticed you were not around.

Lame said...

I'm still having the problem every so often. I had to refresh this page twice to get the capcha to appear.

I can't tell y'all how glad I am that the police actually dropped the charges in what should be called "Godcomplexcopapalooza."

I posted about it on my facebook account and I got into a heated argument with a former Air Force colonel friend of mine about whether the police officer was justified. Based upon what he said, I'm just glad he's a FORMER and not a current Air Force officer. I have another, closer friend who lost his position within Florida Wing of Civil Air Patrol because of an argument he had with this former colonel, and all these years I thought it was his own fault for that confrontation. Now I know he was justified and this colonel indeed WAS what the other guy called him.

Lame said...

Back on the subject of choral works, I'm also a huge fan of Bach's cantata "Wachet auf ruft uns die Stimme."